Monday, September 19, 2011

Surrender the Booty!



Ok, in honor of International Talk like a Pirate Day, I thought we'd take a look at some of my favorite pirate romances! Pirates and privateers make popular heroes in romance novels and although the trend has slacked off a bit in recent years, I'm starting to notice a resurgence in the sub-genre.  I think it's a darrrn good thing! Sorry, could resist.  So, in honor of all you pirate loving readers out there (a special nod to my pal, Leetchie), here are some of my favorite pirate romances...



Bound by the Heart, The Wind and the Sea, Across a Moonlit Sea and anything else written by Marsha Canham.  Canham wrote many excellent sea based romances and the really great news is that most are available as e-books on Amazon for crazy cheap prices!

Til Dawn Tames the Day - Megan McKinney.  This pirate romance by one of my fave old school authors, features a governess heroine and the super hot hero, Vashon!  This one borders on bodice ripping and that makes me love it even more.

Thief of Hearts - Teresa Medeiros.  The hero is named Captain Doom!  What more do you want?

The Pirate Lord - Sabrina Jeffries.  The ship the ill-fated heroine sails on is the Chastity.  The pirate ship is called the Satyr!  Gotta love Jeffries sense of humor and her hot pirate, Captain Gideon Horn.

Only With Your Love - Lisa Kleypas.  Our tortured hero and his lovely virgin conquest make for one of my fave Kleypas romances.  Although I had issues with Justin as a pirate name.

Crimson Rapture - Jennifer Horsman.  Again with the Captain Justin!  While I still don't like Justin as a pirate name, this classic bodice ripper serves up so much heat, sensuality and old school high seas romance, I'm willing to overlook the whole ill-named pirate issue.

Have a special Pirate romance that you want to add to the list?  Avast ye maties, surrender the booty...



7 comments:

  1. Ooooo! Call on me!

    Elizabeth Boyle's Memoirs of a Scandalous Red Dress. Dash and Pippin still have it after all those years apart.

    (And Dash is a great name for a privateer.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to say that I would name my son Dash. Actually Dashiell and call him Dash. Flove that name! Romance writers should use it more. I think Boyle is talented, I just haven't hit on the one book of hers that really does it for me yet. I did think this was the best of that series. Arrr!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, My fav is Thief of Hearts! Gerard is swoon worthy! LOVE me some pirates!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Johanna, Medeiros is so good, isn't she? And you're right, whether he is a pirate or a bodyguard, Gerard is swoon worthy! It always surprises me that more people haven't read this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahoy matey!! Thanks for the shout out. I haven't read Til Dawn Tames the Day or Only With Your Love. How I missed that Kleypas I'll never know. I will remedy this soon.

    After almost 30 years Crimson Rapture is still my all time favorite romance and Justin is still my favorite boy’s name!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't get me wrong, I love Justin as a boy's name, just not a pirate's name! IJS. Hee.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Years later, but I just have to say that I LOVED Thief of Hearts. I'm not a fan of pirate romances in general because they too often break out the rapey heroes. I'll keep those other ones in mind though!

    ReplyDelete