Tuesday, December 13, 2011

In The Bleak Midwinter...



My last post on Christmas romances brought about a few requests from you all asking for some Christmas mystery recommendations. While I am always thrilled that you think enough of my taste in books to make those sorts of requests, this one made me slightly queasy. It's truth time folks, while I am an avid reader of mysteries of all sorts, I don't really like Christmas mysteries. There.  I said it. Or rather, I wrote it, but you get the drift.

Perhaps it is just too difficult to mix murder and mayhem and making merry! Christmas is a time when we want to think about what is good and right with the world and crime and punishment do not happily blend with those sentiments. Another issue with holiday mysteries is that most tend to be found in cozy series and that is, frankly, my least favorite sub-genre. Oh, I read cozies, but I think we have established that I read almost everything including cereal boxes, so that alone doesn't mean much. Having stated the fact that I don't really care much for holiday mysteries, never let it be said that I can't offer up a few suggestions when I have loyal blog readers looking to mix some murder in with their holiday cheer.



In The Bleak Midwinter - Julia Spencer-Fleming
Rev. Clare Fergusson/Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries 
The first book in this amazing series and it just happens to be set at Christmas!  I've raved about this series before and it is well-deserved. If someone had told me that one of my favorites would involve the exploits of a female, ex-chopper pilot, episcopal priest and an ex MP, current police chief in a small upstate NY town, I'd have been doubtful to say the least. Thanks to Ms. Spencer-Fleming's talent, I fell in love with these characters. The series is a strange mix of cozy elements with much more bleak and hard-boiled plotlines. The chemistry between the two main characters is off the charts and the setting in a small upstate New York town certainly provides plenty of winter charm!  If you have not tried this series, you really must, it is one of my favorites.



The Thin Man -Dashiell Hammett
Nick and Nora Charles
There are worse ways to spend Christmas than hanging with the ever urbane and witty Nick and Nora Charles in NYC. One of my favorite classic mysteries and even though the Christmas setting isn't a major component, you really can't lose with this one.  


Midnight Clear - Kathy Hogan Trocheck
Callahan Garrity series
Before she hit it big writing hilarious southern chick lit mysteries Mary Kay Andrews was Kathy Hogan Trocheck and she wrote a couple of really excellent mystery series including the Callahan Garrity books.  The House Mouse mysteries featured an ex Atlanta cop turned house cleaning service owner. Callahan was a charming and capable woman and I loved the secondary characters in the books as well.  It pains me that this series is no more, I miss Callahan and the gang at the House Mouse.  Oddly enough, some of the books in this series don't seem to be in print, but others, including Midnight Clear are available on kindle and in print.  Take advantage of the ones that you can find, you won't be sorry.


The Body in the Sleigh - Katherine Hall Page
Faith Fairchild series
While I haven't read all of the books in this cozy series set in Massachusetts, I've enjoyed the ones that I have read including The Body in the Sleigh. This book finds the Fairchild family taking a holiday vacation in Maine and I love Maine almost as much as I love mysteries, so this really worked for me. I like the characters in this series and I really need to get back to it and get caught up.

So, my dears, there you have it. A few suggestions for those who wish to lose themselves in a mystery during their holiday break. I hope you enjoy them and I also beg of you to leave your suggestions in the comments area.  I'd love to hear about your favorite holiday book, no matter the genre, so c'mon, it's the season for giving...

2 comments:

  1. A Highland Christmas by M.C. Beaton is good too. It's part of the Hamish MacBeth Mystery series. Luckily with this series you don't really have to read them in order. If anyone likes audio books, do have a listen too! These are great as audio books. (Scottish accents!!!)

    Another series is the Pennyfoot Hotel series by Kate Kingsbury, specifically the newer "specials" that are all set around the holidays at a hotel in southern England in the Edwardian era (circa WWI).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessie, I might give Highland Christmas a shot. I've read some of those and liked them. I haven't read the Pennyfoot series, but have heard some good stuff about them. Good suggestions!

    ReplyDelete