Saturday, August 28, 2010

Silly title, great book!





I  almost missed out on a really solid historical romance because of my aversion to silly titles.  They don't get much sillier than Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake!  It'a mouthful of silliness and while this book was getting amazing buzz, I was determined to avoid it.  Big mistake.  In a fit of boredom when I couldn't find anything engaging to read, I picked up a copy of NRtBWRaR (see, even the acronym doesn't roll of the tongue easily), and I am so happy that I took the chance.  Sarah Maclean is a very talented writer.  She has a wonderful way with a phrase and a nice light, humorous touch that puts one in mind of the best of Julia Quinn.

The story is pretty simple and certainly one that we have read before; plain spinsterish Calpurnia Hartwell decides that she is tired of being the good girl and so she sets out to make some changes in her life.  Just as she decides to pursue some sinful pleasures and shake up her goody two-shoes image, the man she lusts after, famous rake Gabriel St. John- Marquess of Ralston,  decides he needs her respectability to provide an entrance into society for his unconventional sister.  Spinster meets rake.  Been there, done that, a million times over.  Maclean's writing is what lifts this one above the crowd.  Calpurnia and Gabriel are interesting characters, although a reader definitely gets a better sense of her side of the story, at least early on.  There is real chemistry between these two and I had no trouble pulling for them as they began to fall for each other.  The dialogue is witty and neither of the main characters moves into TSTL territory, although some of Calpurnia's adventures leave one questioning her good sense.  Even though I liked the characters and the storyline in Nine Rules, the book wasn't perfect.  The book offers little for readers that have any real interest in the historical aspect of a historical romance.  There is nothing glaringly incorrect in her portrayal of the period, but she doesn't provide much in the way of period detail either.  For all of us angst lovers, this one falls short.  There isn't much real angst and what little there is turns out to be easily overcome.  The book is also terribly predictable.  You know exactly where this story is headed and anyone who has read much in the way of HR can probably predict most of the twists and turns that the author attempts to throw in.  That said, Nine Rules is so much fun that I was more than willing to overlook the few negatives.

This book was like candy to me.  Once in a while I want something that is light and sweet and yummy and Nine Rules certainly satisfied that craving.  I look forward to the next two books in the trilogy, silly titles and all.

2 comments:

  1. I promise not to comment on every post. But I loved this book. So much. I can't wait for the next two in the series - even with their even sillier titles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please comment! I want feedback, thoughts, etc. This silly place is supposed to generate some. discussion:) I ended up really liking this book too. Her style is great and I just finished the second in the series, which I'll be posting on this weekend.

    ReplyDelete