Friday, October 7, 2011

Eileen Dreyer Does it Again...


After reading author Eileen Dreyer's thoughtful responses in her recent interview on IRR, I was more excited than ever to tackle the third title in her Drake's Rakes series, Always A Temptress.  As you all know, I absolutely adored the first two books in this series and have been anxiously awaiting this one since finishing the last page of Never A Gentleman.  My wait finally ended with the recent release of Kate's story.

We had hints about Kate's background and familial troubles in the earlier books, but it seemed impossible that ED could match the sheer boldness of Barely a Lady or Never a Gentleman, and guess what?  She doesn't. Stay with me here though, because this is not a bad thing. Temptress is a quieter book on some levels. After finishing it, I had to take a few days and think about it before I felt ready to attempt a review. The feel of Temptress seemed different, more intimate, more narrowly focused on Kate and her Harry. The happy news here is that they are both fascinating characters.

Lady Kate Seaton is a widowed Duchess who has a somewhat infamous and unsavory reputation throughout the ton. Readers of the series know that Kate often employs that reputation to protect herself  and that under the glittering exterior, there is truly a heart of gold. While attending a wedding Kate is witness to the death of the murderous traitor known as the Surgeon. Just before his death the Surgeon tells her cousin Diccan (from NaG) that Kate has vital information about his traitorous group, the Lions.  Diccan, desperate to uncover the information and fearing for Kate's safety, asks his fellow Rake, Sir Harry Lidge to take care of Kate and try and find out if she does have any knowledge of the Lions evil doings. Sir Harry, perhaps due to his longstanding feelings of anger and resentment toward Kate, has her kidnapped and attempts to bully the information out of her.  Kate has no clue what he wants from her and is trying to deal with the chemistry and attraction that, even after so many years, is obviously still strong between them.

The nature of the conflict between Kate and Harry provides a fine example of Dreyer's strength as a writer. Although based on a misunderstanding, it felt very real and ran very deep. Actions that both had taken when they were much younger continued to impact their lives in a very immediate way and their mutual resentment and anger toward each other felt completely logical. This is a real strength in the book. By the time Kate and Harry begin to settle down and communicate, they are faced with danger from all sides and they must learn to trust in each other in order to survive. As I said before, the focus of this book is very much on Kate and Harry. Kate's colorful band of friends and servants are certainly well represented and provide a good deal of comic relief, but the core of the book concerns the two main characters attempting to deal with their complex and muddled feelings about each other. These two each believe that they have been betrayed by the other and in a very real way, they are both correct. Harry, after having been fed scurrilous lies about Kate, leaves her to a horrific fate at the hands of her uncaring father and elderly husband. Kate, after believing she has been deserted by the love of her life and her only hope of safety and happiness, feels that Harry chose money and position over her. The scenes that involve their mutual realization that they have both been wrong are very powerful stuff.
When Kate and Harry are finally able to realize the depth and nature of their feelings for each other, well,  I don't think I've ever enjoyed a HEA more.

As I said earlier, after finishing Temptress, I had to put the book aside and think about it.  Then, I had to go back and re-read a second time and think some more. This books differs from the first two titles, but it is in no way less dramatic or passionate.  Dreyer's deft touch and her ability to move beyond the sometimes cliched world of historical romance is as strong in Temptress as it was in the previous books.    I'll even go so far as to say I suspect that Kate and Harry have the best shot at a truly happy and fulfilling life together because we witnessed their struggles so intimately in Always a Temptress.  This book left me more certain than ever that Eileen Dryer is going to remain at the top of my favorites list for a long time to come.  The skill and range that she exhibits in her first three historicals have me positively giddy thinking about what she might offer up next.

I know that many of you have read and loved the Drake's Rakes series, so I cannot wait to hear your thoughts on Always A Temptress. And, once again, let me take a moment to thank Eileen Dryer both for her generosity and her talent. Oh, and also, I'm wondering what kind of bribe I'd have to come up with to get Drake's book moved up on the list.  The wait for that one may just do me in!

4 comments:

  1. I remember after I finished reading Never a Gentleman (and loving!! it!) the snippet of Kate's book made me think I could NEVER wait until October for the whole book to come out. Fortunately, school has a way of making time fly, and now here it is! I believe I'll treat myself to a little Amazon order just in time for fall break. I can't wait to read this book. Just from the excerpt (and of course, now your review!) it seems like exactly the kind of story I will love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kin, let me just say up front that I think you are going to fall deeply and passionately in love with Sir Harry! He is, I think, your kind of swoon worthy hero. Please take a few minutes and treat yourself to this. I see it as a reward for all that hard work and study you're doing in law school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, you were right. :) I probably should've waited until an actual break from school instead of a weekend when I had a paper due, but no harm no foul, because I managed to finish both! Haha. Like you said, it was less grand but more intimate, which tends to be more my style.

    I was confused by the timeline, because I couldn't remember well enough what happened after Kate was last seen in Never a Gentleman and how long it took for Grace and Diccan to find their way back to each other. Whenever we saw Grace and she was sad, I was a little concerned that something ELSE had happened to them, but I chalked it up to me just forgetting the timeline of their story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, kin, I had a little problem with that as well. Concurrent storylines are tricky for any author, I think. If you remember though, prior to their HEA in Gentleman, Grace mentions that she has spent several weeks in London to help Kate. It's a vague sort of mention prior to Diccan arriving at her home to ask for a second chance. I think that most of what happens in Temptress happens during those weeks prior to Grace and Diccan's reconciliation.
    And congrats on finishing the paper ahead of schedule! Yay you!

    ReplyDelete