Thursday, September 23, 2010

Delicious Autumn!

Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. 
- George Eliot


As you might guess by the title of this post, Autumn is my favorite season.  I love most everything about it, even the melancholy that it can inspire. I love the weather and the leaves and Halloween.  I love the shorter days and longer evenings and the feeling of change and movement that autumn seems to bring.  Autumn is also an amazing time to read.  There is nothing better than settling in on a cool autumn evening with a book.  I personally think that the best books to read during this season are those that have at least a slightly melancholy tone as well as a touch of horror.  In an attempt to insure that you have plenty stockpiled for the season, here's my top ten list of autumnal reads, in no particular order...




Harvest Home - Thomas Tryon
Something Wicked This Way Comes - Ray Bradbury
Salem's Lot - Stephen King
The Vanishment - Jonathan Aycliffe
Nine Coaches Waiting - Mary Stewart
Early Autumn - Robert Parker
The Time of the Hunter's Moon - Victoria Holt
The Night Country - Stewart O'Nan
The Chatham School Affair - Thomas H. Cook
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow - Washington Irving




Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment