Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Think for yourself...




"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too." - Voltaire


As a librarian and a reader the idea of banning or censoring books is anathema to me.  I can think of no greater waste of time and/or energy than trying to keep people from reading.  My job is selecting materials for people to read and I remind myself daily that it isn't my job to judge a book moral or immoral, right or wrong.  It is my job to provide access to the information, ideas and thoughts contained within those books, regardless of how I may feel about them personally.  So remember to support you local library, authors and booksellers as they fight to stop censorship, not just this week, but every day.
ALA Banned Books Week
Top 10 most challenged books -2009

PS.  The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier has been in the top 10 most challenged books almost every year since it was published in 1974.  It remains one of the most thought provoking books I have ever read, YA or otherwise...

No comments:

Post a Comment