Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Fall into a book...


Fall is here! You guys know what that means, right? It gets dark much earlier, there is a nice cool nip in the air, and suddenly pumpkin spice is being inserted into everything from coffee to pizza. Enough with the pumpkin spice already, it doesn't even have real pumpkin in it.

Sorry. I digress.

Fall also means a brand new crop of books! September and October bring tons of new titles, including new stuff from old favorites. To kick start your autumnal reading, I'm going to give you a quick list of a few of the books that have caught my eye recently...


Once A Rake - Eileen Dreyer
The fourth book in her amazing Drake's Rakes series.Those who are frequent visitors to the blog know that I love me some Eileen Dreyer romance! If you need a reminder of why I adore her stuff, you can find one here, and here, and here.


Through The Evil Days - Julia Spencer-Fleming
Number eight in the always excellent Claire Fergusson/Russ Van Alstyne mystery series, I am alternately looking forward to and/or dreading this one. If you read this series you know that the last book ended with a big, super-duper, twist. I usually fear this sort of thing, but Spencer-Fleming is a very talented writer and I'm going to trust her to get her characters, as well as her fans, through this latest crisis.


Storm Front - John Sandford
The seventh book in Sandford's Virgil Flowers series. I've read Sandford's Lucas Davenport books for years, but just read my first Virgil book this summer. As soon as I finished the first book, I immediately raced through the next five. Sandford is so good, he makes it look effortless.  Can't wait to see what "that fucking Flowers" is up to next!



The Night Guest - Fiona McFarlane
From down under comes a title from a new author and it's getting crazy good reviews.  The Night Guest tells the story of an elderly woman, on the verge of dementia, living alone in an isolated beachfront area in Australia. One day a mysterious caregiver shows up and the developing relationship between the two women becomes the focus of a story that has been called "beautiful," hypnotic," and "creepy." I'm intrigued!



Johnny Cash: The Life - Robert Hilburn
Long time LA Times music critic, Hilburn brings us what is being called the "definitive" biography of the always fascinating Man in Black. I've been a Johnny Cash fan all of my life, so of course, this one is on the list.


The Thicket - Joe Lansdale
"I didn't suspect the day grandfather came out and got me and my sister, Lula, and hauled us off toward the ferry that I'd soon end up with worse things happening than had already come upon us or that I'd take up with a gun-shooting dwarf, the son of a slave, and a big angry hog, let alone find true love and kill someone, but that's exactly how it was." C'mon people, who can resist an opening like that? If you haven't read Joe Lansdale, then you have missed out on some very fine storytelling. Can't wait for this one!






So, there you go folks, some great new books to curl up with as the autumnal winds start blowing. I'd love to hear what you guys are eagerly anticipating.  What's on your fall reading list?

No comments:

Post a Comment