Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Gothic Love

I'm back and having survived my recent brush with death (or at least a very bad cold), I thought I'd introduce a new feature for the blog.  I'm calling it Top 5 Tuesday! Basically, every Tuesday I'll put together my top 5 list of something or other. Could be books, authors, genres, etc. I hope that some of you may feel inspired to leave your own top fives in the comments, I'd love to get some new titles or authors to read out of this. For our premiere top 5 Tuesday, I'd wanted to offer my Top 5 Gothic Romances. I adore gothic romance!  I don't give a fig how cliched or insipid they may seem to others, curling up with a gothic and a nice cup of tea on a cold, rainy day is one of life's greatest pleasures.

Top 5 Gothic Romance Titles:

Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte
"Reader, I married him."



Mistress of Mellyn - Victoria Holt
"There are two courses open to a gentlewoman when she finds herself in penurious circumstances.......One is to marry, and the other to find a post in keeping with her gentility." 



Rebecca - Daphne Du Maurier
"Last night I dreamt I went to Manderlay again."


His Dark Kiss - Eve Silver
"To travel on a day such as this was a task only for the addled or the desperate."



Lily - Patricia Gaffney
"What if I were a governess?  She was shouting now.  You'd never marry me then, would you?  Because even if you loved me, I'd be too much like your dead wife, your beloved Maura, the woman who made you this way!  But I'm not like her Dev, I'm me, I'm Lily..."




No comments:

Post a Comment