Sunday, October 31, 2010

Things that go bump in the night...


Halloween is probably my favorite holiday! I love the fact that we celebrate scary stuff and you get candy. What more can one ask of a holiday? To honor the day, I'm going to give you with my scariest suggestions to help you get in the mood. Just a note, today we're going to expand the formats, I'll give you a film and an album as well as a book title. I want this to be a Halloween that provides thrills and chills, whether you choose to read, view or listen...

Naomi's Room by the amazing British writer, Jonathan Aycliffe remains one of the scariest books I have ever read. This book has achieved something of a cult status, and deservedly so. Do not plan to read through the night if you are alone in the house, especially if you have an attic.  IJS. Terrifying stuff and well worth hunting down, cause it is out of print.

Amazing ghost story from writer/director Conor McPherson, starring the equally excellent (and incredibly hot) Ciaran Hinds. No one does ghost stories better than McPherson and this is a doozy.

Even though I am a fan of classic country music (from the 50s through the 80s), I was never big on country crooner Wagoner, except for this classic of dark, violent and depraved love. This is an amazing concept album where every song works to support the idea that life and love is a sad and violent, although passionate, undertaking! With lyrics like "lord, you should have seen their frantic faces, they screamed and cried please put away that knife..." and "I dug and dug for hours and then I planted flowers on the first Mrs. Jones..." this is light years away from the insipid dreck that passes for country music today.  Chilling!

If you enjoy a good fright and a visit with the darker side on occasion then I highly recommend these three titles.  Here's wishing everyone a spectacular Halloween and if you want to leave some scary suggestions yourself, I'd love to have them.

The Eclipse
Naomi's Room
Cold Hard Facts Of Life/Soul Of A Convict

1 comment:

  1. Ok. I don't even have to listen to that album, just reading those lyrics was creepy enough! scary!

    ReplyDelete