Tuesday, November 23, 2010

We Need a Little Christmas Now...

A recent conversation with some friends started me thinking about Christmas romances. Whether they are anthologies or stand alones, I know tons of readers who love and collect this sub genre.  The idea is that all of the emotion of a romance novel is heightened when the setting is a sentimental holiday like Christmas.  I've read quite a few of these, some very good, some beyond dreadful and in the spirit of the season, I'm going to suggest my top 5 so that the uninitiated can (hopefully) be spared the latter. Let's get that holiday spirit in gear!

A Christmas Promise - Mary Balogh
Let's start with the best!  Thanks to Balogh's talents, this story never becomes maudlin, although it deals with very strong characters and emotions.  Luckily for all of you too young to have read it the first go round, this has just been reissued.

Christmas Angel - Jo Beverley
One of her Company of Rogues series, this Christmas story by Beverley is simply wonderful!  It features a really unique heroine and an unusual plot.  Beverley is so good, if you haven't read her go and get this one now and then plan on enjoying the rest of an excellent series.

 A Christmas Bride - Mary Balogh
Surprise!  Balogh again.  Actually all five of these could have been Balogh, since she writes some really wonderful Christmas stuff.  This one is quite a bit darker than most Christmas themed books, but you can trust Mary to make it one of the most fulfilling as well.  No empty sentiment here.

Marian's Christmas Wish - Carla Kelly
Anything by Carla Kelly is worthwhile reading.  Really.  Anything.  This is an older, out of print title, but worth it if you can snag it secondhand.

A Wallflower Christmas Lisa Kleypas
Not Kleypas's best and way too expensive because of the hardcover, still it gave me a chance to experience the magnificence that is Sebastien, from A Devil in Winter again and that is justification enough to include it on this list.

Now, in the spirit of giving, let's hear your suggestions for holiday reading.  C'mon, remember, it is better to give than to receive!

2 comments:

  1. Wheee, my Amazon order that includes Christmas Promise is out for delivery! I'm SO excited that you say it's the best. I love romance, and I am head over heels for Christmas, so I'm super-happy about a good Christmas romance. Especially by Balogh. There are other authors I like, but to borrow a phrase from Carly Simon, nobody does it better :).

    Also yay for the Wallflowers and particularly Sebastian shoutout. After I've just talked about how no one is better than Balogh, I have to say my favorite romance hero is my lovely Sydney Carton-esque Sebastian. He is the reason I read the Wallflower Christmas. He is actually also the reason I read Mine Till Midnight, just for another glimpse of Sebastian and Evie. Ohhh, my goodness, I love him. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kin, don't feel bad, Sebastien is the reason I have read the Mine Till Midnight series as well. I just hope for a glimpse of him, anytime, anywhere. He is so swoonworthy! And you're right, there is no one better than Balogh. Her Christmas stuff is moving, without being cloying and that is a difficult thing to pull off. Let me know how you like the Christmas Promise and I really want you to give Carla Kelly a try as well. I think you will love her.

    ReplyDelete