Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Building a Mystery...

Since last week's top 5 Tuesday list included my favorite historical mystery series, I thought this week we would give equal time to my favorite contemporary series.  I think that I look for very different things from contemporary series, for example, a good plot matters much more when I don't have all that delicious historical detail distracting me.  Setting is important.  I like to read about places that are interesting and that add to the story in some way.  That said, it still comes down to authors who create memorable characters. Every series on this list features at least one, if not several truly amazing characters and I'm grateful to have had a chance to meet them.



Rev. Clare Fergusson/Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries - Julia Spencer- Fleming
If someone had told me that one of my favorites would involve the exploits of a female, ex-chopper pilot, episcopal priest and an ex MP, current police chief in a small upstate NY town, I'd have been doubtful to say the least. Thanks to Ms. Spencer-Fleming's talent, I fell in love with these characters. The series is a strange mix of cozy elements with much more bleak and hard-boiled plotlines. The chemistry between the two main characters is off the charts and I cannot wait to find out where the author takes them next.


Pendergast Series - Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child
It took two very fine mystery writers to come up with a character as intriguing as the complex and mysterious FBI Agent Pendergast. He is a suave southern gentleman, who seems to have an almost encyclopedic knowledge of everything from fine dining to eastern religion. He is urbane and witty and fabulous and I hope that Preston and Childs never get bored with him. I know I won't. The first book in this series, Relic, remains one of my favorites.


Travis McGee Series - John D. MacDonald
In my opinion, one of the very best series detectives ever. Travis McGee was a knight errant, beach bum who lived on his yacht, The Busted Flush in Bahia Mar in Ft. Lauderdale. He was the prototype for many who would follow, but nobody has ever done this sort of mystery better. MacDonald's astute observations on the environment, development and culture, continue to be as meaningful as when he wrote them in the late 60s and 70s.  I re-read this series annually just to remind myself how good a series mystery can be.


Charlie Parker Mysteries - John Connolly
Perhaps the darkest of all of the series I've listed, the protagonist of this series has lost everything and had to fight to hang on to both his sanity and his humanity. This series deals with some very disturbing themes, but Connolly always manages to allow Charlie some shred of hope and decency. The supporting characters are memorable and the setting in Maine fits the mood of the series well. Even the occasional dip into the paranormal world doesn't bother me, because Connolly's writing is so strong and poetic. If you don't mind occasionally visiting the dark side, this is one of the best series going.


Adam Dalgliesh Series - PD James
You all didn't really think I was going to make it through an entire list without including a Brit did you?  PD James is a master and Adam Dalgliesh is one of the best characters in contemporary mystery writing.  Dalgliesh is an intellectual and honorable man and his methodic approach to solving complex crimes is as enjoyable today as is was in 1962 when the first Dalgliesh, Cover Her Face was published.

No comments:

Post a Comment