Thursday, December 16, 2010

Happy Birthday Miss Austen!!!



Also read again and for the third time at least Miss Austen's very finely written novel of Pride and Prejudice. That young lady had a talent for describing the involvement and feelings and characters of ordinary life which is to me the most wonderful I ever met with. The Big Bow-wow strain I can do myself like any now going, but the exquisite touch which renders ordinary commonplace things and characters interesting from the truth of the description and the sentiment is denied to me. What a pity such a gifted creature died so early!
-Sir Walter Scott


Happy Birthday Jane Austen!

According to several blogs that celebrate all things Austen, Sourcebook is making many of their Austen spin-off titles available free in the electronic format in order to celebrate this special day!  Check out the link below for details...

Free Jane Austen books!

I can't say that I have ever read a bad Jane Austen book,  but my favorite would have to be Persuasion.  It is a work that holds such realistic and controlled optimism that  I never fail to be amazed by it.  I find it a bit less cynical, but every bit as humorous as P&P or Sense and Sensibility.  If you haven't read Austen, pick up any of her books and give it a go.  You really don't know what you're missing.  Oh and by all means check out the literary adaptations of her work.  There are several that are spectacular, including the 1995 version of Persuasion starring Amanda Root and the always wonderful Ciaran Hinds...





  

2 comments:

  1. Yay, Persuasion is tied with P&P as my fave Austen book. Actually, make that my fave books ever.

    In Bath, Amanda Root hosts this video on Austen. When we saw her, my friend Tom goes: That's the lady from Persuasion? They make her so dowdy in that movie but she's really hot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, what is up with that? She is really an attractive woman. Of course, I barely noticed because, c'mon, Ciaran! In a Naval uniform! Swoon! And I cannot wait to go back to Bath. I floved that place. Jane Austen, the Fashion Museum and really, really good buns. What more could I want...

    ReplyDelete