Tuesday, December 7, 2010

History's Mysteries...

Top five Tuesday is here already! In honor of the recent excellent guest review of Lauren Willig's Pink Carnation series, I've decided to offer up my current top 5 historical mystery series. Obviously since I am new to the Willig series, she isn't on there yet, but I hope you'll check out these other, very fine, historical mystery writers...


The Lady Julia Grey Series - Deanna Raybourn
Excellent Victorian era series featuring Lady Julia Grey and her delicious husband, Nicholas Brisbane.  With four titles in this series, Ms. Raybourn just gets better and better, I am eagerly looking forward to the fifth.  


The Julian Kestral Series - Kate Ross
In my opinion, one of the best historical mystery series ever! Set in Regency times, Julian is a suave, erudite and fashionable rogue, however his dapper exterior hides a much deeper core. It breaks my heart that Ms. Ross only completed four books in this series prior to her untimely death. If you are a fan of historical mysteries, hunt them down and read them all.  Brilliant!


The Sebastien St. Cyr Series- C.S. Harris
Excellent Regency era series featuring the dark and cynical Sebastian Alistair St. Cyr, Viscount Devlin.  Harris creates truly remarkable supporting characters and St. Cyr is a perfect world-weary hero, but I live in fear that he will choose the wrong woman.  Team Hero for the win!


The Molly Murphy series - Rhys Bowen
This entertaining series set in turn of the century New York is a delight. A bit lighter in tone than the other series, it features a protagonist who is funny, smart and endearing, even though she isn't much of a detective. The setting and the historical period, along with the aforementioned heroine, make this series a winner.


The Lady Emily Series - Tasha Alexander
Another Victorian era series featuring a very sharp lady protagonist. Lady Emily exhibits remarkable growth throughout this series and a strong cast of supporting characters, including sexy new husband, Colin Hargreaves, an agent for the crown, make this fast-paced and far-reaching series a delight.


There you have it.  I hope that you'll share your favorites in this genre, I am always on the look out for a new series to love!  


4 comments:

  1. Totally cannot wait for the fifth Lady Julia book either! I am now addicted, so thanks for that. Will have to check out these others!

    ReplyDelete
  2. jen, you really have to read the Kate Ross books, I think you would love them. I'm so thrilled that you like the Lady Julia series, it is a personal fave! Of course, I know who you are picturing as Brisbane:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I meant to ask you! Have you read the Maisie Dobbs mysteries by Jacqueline Winspear? They're pretty good -- set in the period between WWI and WWII England. The heroine was a nurse in the first war and becomes a private investigator a decade later. The first and second are my faves of the series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen, I haven't read it but you are the second person in a week who has recommended it,s o I think I'm going to need to give it a shot. It is one of those that I always mean to pick up and just haven't. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete